Thursday, March 3, 2011

ftp php get www owner name ?


Not certain if this is the best place for this, but it is Web development related so....

Lately I have been having issues with having my forum software write directories and files at my instruction and then I have no ability to control those files via ftp or file manager. The server would not allow me to do anything to the files or even change permissions. always told me operation not allowed.

I think I have noticed why. My files have an Owner / Group name that work for me all the time. but half the time when I use the expand function in file manager on a compressed file, or use a function in SMF or other software, the Owner / Group becomes 99 / 99 for those files and I have no control.

Can someone please explain how I can control the Owner / Group on files on my webspac?
yes, when I use the file manager in cPanel or use Filezilla FTP the files register as mine.

I want to understand why, the software on my website when I use it to do automated update functions or add a theme or the like, why does it register as 99/99 instead of being mine.

I recently used a program called pclzip 2.6 to try and install a program on my webspace and I could not remove it or do anything with it because the gid / uid was 99/99 I had to go through support to get it fixed so I could remove the unusable files.

I also uploaded that same zip file and used the built in expand function in cPanel file manager and it expanded with the proper gid/uid.

I would simply like to know more about gid / uid and if I have control of that info in my webspace in case I need to take control of the files there.
well if the files belong to the PHP user (nobody in this case) then PHP can change the file permissions of these files therefore giving other users (like the ftp user) access to do what they want.

just upload a new php script that changes the troublesome files to 777 permissions using the chmod function.
PHP Code:

chmod(
"FILE.PHP"0777);
?>

No comments:

Post a Comment